Tuesday, March 03, 2015

Rotten

I've just received a battered second-hand copy of Rotten's No Irish, No Blacks, No Dogs in the post. It's my second copy because the first one probably got lent to someone, and didn't come home. I remember it as a spiffing read, and I'm looking forward to getting my teeth into it tomorrow.
It's been great fun writing this article; there are so many things about the 1970s that I had forgotten, and different authors insist on different versions of history with different protagonists being the key player. Some write entirely from a white perspective, some entirely from a black perspective.
All of the authors are male, so I suppose I'm looking at it all from a different perspective again; there are varying degrees of interest in Lover's Rock although it tends to get left behind because there's such a one-upmanship with some of them about liking the deepest dub, and trying to completely understand Rastafarianism. I was brought up a Presbyterian and I still don't understand that.

No comments: